Monday, October 7, 2013

Higher



Braunarlspitz post

Braunarlspitz post


Braunarlspitz post

Braunarlspitz post


Braunarlspitz post

I remember wishing as I stood, frozen, seriously considering if I could get a rescue helicopter to come airlift me out so I don't have to climb, unassisted, up any more snow-covered vertical rocks. We were so unprepared it's kind of funny - we didn't consider that there'd be so much snow on the mountain already. After not a lot of sleep and a trek to Munich for Oktoberfest the day before, I hazily woke up and put on my usual running clothes for the hike. All other pro hikers we came across had sticks, and proper hiking- and footwear for the snow, in true German/ Austrian style, and I could see them doubtfully eyeing my runners and PE shorts. The view on the peak (and actually constantly during the hike) was amazing and so rewarding after the scary & stressful climb up. On the way down the peak we had had enough of walking in deep snow and slid down a good hundred meters or so on our rainjackets.
I rewatched 'Touching The Void' recently and have started listening to 'The Dirtbag Diaries' stories (highly recommended if you like the outdoors in general) while working, and I've got this new urge to do more 'extreme' outdoor things - unfortunately just in time for winter.

Braunarlspitze, 2649m | Bregenzerwald | Vorarlberg, Austria

1 comment:

  1. Thats amazing! I hope I have the chance to do that someday. Maybe with proper clothes though.

    ReplyDelete